2012年5月27日日曜日

Open an Izakaya in your garden (or maybe 3 or 4)!

All last week I watched as my marigolds were slowly being eaten down to stems.  This surprised me as I had planted them around my tomatoes, basil and shiso to keep other garden pests away.  While those plants seemed fine, something obviously was eating my marigolds to death.  A little research on the internet found that it was slugs (なめくじ) that were the culprits.  It seems while marigolds repel many harmful insects, slugs find them to be utterly delicious!  So I decided to open an izakaya.  Yes, that's right, actually 4 of them in my garden.  I found 4 small, shallow dishes (you can use jar lids or flower pot bottoms too) put them in the ground so the edges were at ground level.  Then I filled them with the cheapest はっぽうしゅ I could find.  This morning they each have quite a few drowned slugs and pill bugs (まるむし) in them.  I'll let them go tonight again and then empty them and refill them before tomorrow night.  I also found out you can use non-alcoholic beer (even cheaper!) as the slugs are attracted to the yeast and sugars.   
3 June 12
Have been using non alcoholic beer with the same success as regular beer.  Even found a 99 yen imported one at the local supermarket that is all I am using now!  Hope to be slug free in another week or so.  

1 件のコメント:

  1. this week couldn't change my traps as much as I wanted, but even with all the rain watering down my beer traps, I finally emptied on Friday and must have counted over 40 dead slugs!

    返信削除